Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chapter 8


Chapter VIII


Ruby received a phone call from Wilson at work.  He wanted to ride her treadmill.  She told him to call Pete to see if he would be up for a second walk in the evening.  Since they had stopped at the realtor’s office and signed papers on Al’s house, they were a few minutes late on their scheduled run.  It was necessary; they had to warn Al that Wilson was coming and that he wanted to see the house and everything Wells had seen.
Pete told Wilson to stop by Ruby’s at seven so that they still had time for Pete to join Ruby for a light, hurried dinner.  He was back in his apartment by the time Wilson arrived at Ruby’s.
Ruby greeted Wilson graciously, making him feel genuinely welcome. 
“Is there anything I should know before I get on?” Wilson asked.
“Yes.  I’ll call Pete so he can be there to meet you.  Do not get off the treadmill until you’re back here with me.  You can’t stop walking or you’ll see Pete fading away and I’m afraid you’ll fade too.” Ruby told him.
“Fade to what?”
“Hopefully back here, but we’ve been afraid to try.” 
“I think – I won’t try anything new.”  Wilson seemed jovial.
Ruby called Pete and they were on their way.

When the trail opened, Wilson’s eyes widened like a child viewing his first Christmas tree.  Pete kept his steps to Wilson’s speed, which picked up some with as Wilson’s confidence grew.
“Is that the house?” Wilson asked.
“That’s it.”  Pete led him off the trail to view the house.
“When did you rig the batteries onto the treadmills?  Is that when the trail opened up?”
“No the trail has been like this for us.  Wells was concerned that we went off the trail out of the monitor’s sight and worried where we’d end up if the power went off.”
 “That could be a concern.” Wilson nodded slowly. “We discussed whether you were off in cyberspace or the real world.”
“I don’t want to find out.”
“It seems a good safety precaution.  I wonder why he never mentioned it.”
“He was probably so awed by the ride he forgot everything else,” Pete said. “This is your first time out we better get back to the trail.  There is one more steep hill before the cool down strip.”
Wilson went along willingly.  He was tiring.  In the middle of the steep hill Pete noticed him stagger and start to fall behind.  Pete’s hand went to Wilson’s elbow in a steadying motion.
“Are you all right?” Pete asked.
“Could use a little break.”
“We can walk slower.  One step at a time, but we can’t stop. … That over-hanging-tree is the top.  You’re doing fine,” Pete said, leading him onward, encouraging him.
Wilson was breathing with difficulty, but he understood the need to keep going.  He had seen Pete start to disappear and it frightened him.
“This is a rough trail for a beginner.  We should have put you on an easier trail,” Pete said, observing the redness darkening in Wilson’s face.
As the climb ended Wilson began to breathe more easily.  They picked up speed on the downhill.
“There we go, that’s the end of the trail.”
Wilson saw the low, log fence and knew through the open gate was home but he didn’t see Ruby’s crowded livingroom, so wondered how he would get back.
As he walked through the opening he saw himself on the little monitor, that had been invisible on the trail.  He slumped forward caressing the monitor.
Ruby jumped to his side and helped him to a chair.  She ran to the kitchen and brought him a glass of water, then went back to the kitchen.  She returned with a sliced banana with just a decoration of a ready-whipped cream.  She handed it to him.
“I know, you don’t feel like eating, but take three bites before you relax.  The queazies will go away,” she said.
Moments later, there was a hurried knock on the door and Pete entered without waiting for an answer.  He rushed to Wilson asking, “Are you all right?”  He turned to Ruby, “Sorry I busted in, Rumble, I was afraid you’d have your hands full.”
“Just a little dehydration,” Ruby said and convinced both men she knew it to be fact.
“I do feel better.  Wouldn’t have thought of a banana,” Wilson said, as he tasted the last bite.
Ruby laughed.  “It sounds as though you had an exciting run.  Was the house haunted?”
“I was afraid you were having a heart attack and I was killing you trying to get back,” Pete said to Wilson.
“If I may use your bathroom, I’ll be on my way.  My chauffeur will be waiting,” Wilson said.
Ruby made a directive wave of the hand.  “Not enough room to get lost here.”
“Maybe Pete will rent you a room in his new house.”
“Our house,” Pete corrected.  “I’m giving her free run.”

When Wilson left, Pete said, “Whew, that was scary.  I thought we’d have to stop.  What if he’d had a heart attack?”
“I imagine Al was looking after you,” Ruby comforted him.
Pete relaxed, then realized, “He can’t get himself out, how could he help us?”
“You wouldn’t be alone and you’d have two working treadmills.”
“Wilson is really out of shape.  We took close to an hour and he still almost blew it.”
“He’s not used to it,” Ruby said. “This late I bet he had a couple of drinks for courage.”
“He should know better,” Pete said, “Makes you wonder how into fitness, Fitness Opts is.”
“I think Wilson is a PR man.  I doubt he has anything to do with the programs or manufacturing.”
Pete nodded.  He considered what he knew of Wilson’s activities.
“That’s why Al doesn’t trust him.  He’s after the sale and would sell it to anyone regardless of the intended use,” Pete said, “but why would the CIA want it.”
“If they suspect someone of whatever, they could give him a treadmill.  Even if he doesn’t care about exercise, could he resist getting on?  Then there’s this cutie, he’ll think is virtual, coming on to him.”
“He can’t have my Rumble, but I see what you mean.  He might get in shape.”
“He wouldn’t be afraid to tell her anything.  May even go farther because she’s getting turned on by the adventure.”
“I wonder if the CIA is as devious as you are.”
“I send them all my little scenarios,” Ruby quipped.
Pete’s mouth opened in awe, before he realized she was teasing.
“Say, I’ve had my exercise for the night; can I have a drink?”
Ruby lowered her eyes seductively, “You can have a drink, but I’m not entirely sure you’ve had all your exercise for the night.”
“I can’t wait to live with you.  I wonder how long it will take the bank to approve our loan.”
“Wouldn’t it be great if we could start to move in this weekend?”
“I have to give a month’s notice,” Pete said.
“You have to pay for the month.  They can’t make you live there.”
“How’d you get so smart?”
“I haven’t always had a big beautiful apartment like this.  I used to have a smaller one.”
Pete looked around.   “They make ‘em smaller?”
1209

No comments:

Post a Comment