Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chapter 5


Chapter V


Wells was fascinated when the trail opened up as Pete joined him.
“This is not the program as we installed it,” Wells said.  “This is like being on a trail.”
“I think it’s best not to talk and attract attention to the monitor,” Pete whispered.  “Or would there be no one there on Saturday.”
“No telling,” Wells nodded.
Pete pointed toward the house.  They left the trail.
“I guess no one was looking last night when we first came here,” Pete whispered.
Pete led the way to the house.
“We lose you, when you leave the trail,” Wells said.  “We have watched you closer since you met; especially since you described your trips.  If anyone says anything, I’ll tell them you let me join you so I could see for myself how it works.”
Al saw him coming and greeted them: “You’re back already I told you not to come until you had back-up power.”
“We’re good,” Pete replied.  “This is Wells your replacement.”
“Dr. Maxwell?  You replaced me?”  Al was awed.  “It’s a real honor.”
“Mr. Johnson, I’ve been looking forward to meeting you,” Wells said. “A truly remarkable program you’ve developed.”
“Call me Al, please.  You like the changes I have made since I’ve been trapped.”
“How on earth did you make the monitor become a trail?”
“I didn’t know about that until I was here and could view them from this side.  When their minds met they opened up a whole new world.
“It must be something in their rhythm that projects the machines into this cyber dimension,” Al thought as he spoke.  “Was it like that on your first meeting, or was it gradual?”
“When she came onto my monitor I sped up to catch her and the closer we got, the more real we were.  I’m afraid I was looking at her buns not what was happening.”
Al and Wells laughed.
“I was shocked when she really held a conversation,” Pete recalled.
“That part we planned.  That’s why I’m here,” Al said.  “Word got out about the program.  Wilson started talking about selling it to the CIA.  Then I was approached by an industrial spy, telling me how great it would be for getting a grip on the market, then some rough guys came on the scene.  I asked Wilson who he was talking to.  That's when the dark suit started following me.”  Al stopped and looked about.  “Can they hear me?”
“Not when you’re off trail, but we know you’re still walking because the monitor stays on,” Wells said.
“How did you get in here if the trail didn’t open for you?” Pete asked.
Al stared at him and shook his head.  “You’re right!  I couldn’t have got here if I hadn’t walked in.  While I was walking, someone turned off the power and stole my treadmill.  I don’t see how that was possible, if I was on it.  And where’s my body?”
“Maybe, while you were walking, Pete and Ruby connected and created an entrance.  It may be an archway when it opens,” Wells put out food for thought.
“I thought you said we had to walk the trail that was in use,” Pete said.
“You and Ruby are connected.  My treadmill isn’t partnered,” Al said, “You took a trail without Ruby.  Was it the same?”
“Boring, I just watched myself on the monitor.  Even if it’s just a picture having someone to talk to is great,” Pete said, “You know she told me the first day, ‘six-thirty in the morning and five-fifteen in the afternoon’ were her hours.  She thought I was virtual and she set the program.”
“Oh, Al, I hate to tell you, Hope Styles was murdered.  She turned up on trail seven when Pete and Ruby were walking,” Wells said.  “Wilson said she was saying you were being followed and you didn’t just leave town.”
Al’s computerized face expressed his sadness.  It appeared almost humorous in the drawing.
“Poor Hope,” Al said, “She didn’t suffer?  She wasn’t tortured?”
“No, she wasn’t raped or tortured.  Apparent sniper shot through the head while she was jogging.” Wells replied.
Pete started to fade.  “Walk!” he called to Wells.
He reappeared quickly.
“Sorry,” Wells said, “Little trouble thinking and walking.”  He turned to Al and asked, “What made you think you were being followed?  Wilson said you were getting paranoid before you disappeared.”
“Black Suit kept turning up.  I thought it was the CIA.  That’s where the pressure was coming from,” Al said.
“CIA wouldn’t have been spotted; they become invisible,” Wells said. “Fitness Opts sold a model to the CIA … Ralph wears a black suit sometimes.”
“Who’s Ralph?” Al asked.
Wells was taken aback by the question.  He though Ralph had been with the company from the beginning.
Pete caught the expression on Wells face and said, “That’s how you knew we met so soon.  Ralph was following us?”
“Wilson said we had to keep track of you to be sure your routine wasn’t interrupted.”
“Dr. Maxwell,” Al started.
“Wells, please.”
“Wells, are you going to want to bring me back?”
Wells’ look showed the thought of leaving Al was preposterous.  “If for no other reason than an opportunity to work with you.”  He reached to shake Al’s hand.
“I can’t believe they left the computer,” Al said.
“They may not have realized it was part of the scene,” Pete said, “It was in a corner.  If they had their hands full taking the treadmill and grabbing the box of disks … Woah, the electricity was off.  They couldn’t see that well.”
“Right!” Wells and Al said in unison.
“That’s why they missed the disks we found on the floor,” Wells concluded.
“I think you’re going to have to hook up a couple of treadmills, to start with.  Pete would you and Ruby mind being our go between?” Al asked.
“No way you could stop us now,” Pete was quick to volunteer.  “I don’t think Wells should be on the trail too often.  We’ll find a way to meet out of sight.”
“I think you better get back,” Al said.  “Be careful!”

Ruby stared in disbelief as her treadmill disappeared.  She waited anxiously for it to return.  It came back the way it had left.  The way Pete faded in and out when she stopped on the trail.
“Are you all right?” she asked, rushing to Wells side.
He stepped off the treadmill, “Truly amazing experience.”
“You disappeared!”
“What?”
“You faded out then faded back.  I was scared.”
“Pete is coming over to discuss what we’ve done,” Wells said, “Let’s wait for him to arrive.”
Ruby checked her watch.  It was close to four o’clock.
“Would you like a drink?” she asked.
“You know, I think I could really use one.”
Ruby knew that was true; she had only to look at his trembling hand.
She brought him a scotch and water as he’d requested, then put together a plate of cheese, salami and crackers. 
Pete was at the door by the time she was finished.
She fixed Pete and herself a rum and Diet Coke and freshened Wells’s drink.
“Thanks, I need that,” Pete said, “Rumble, I’m afraid I committed us without consulting you.  Al asked if we’d go between for him and Wells.”
“That goes without saying,” she said, then told him about Wells disappearing.
Pete and Wells looked at each other puzzling over what she told them.
“You think maybe no one stole the treadmill?” Pete asked as the new question popped into his head.  “Maybe it’s there with him.”
“He didn’t remember going through the opening,” Wells said. “I wonder if the electricity went off just as he entered.”
“When the lights went out he’d step off the treadmill,” Ruby put in. “We never see the treadmill.”
The two men were sitting nodding.
“It’s possible this is all a tragic accident,” Ruby said.
“Hope Styles, was no accident,” Wells said.
“And, Al’s house was ransacked,” Pete agreed with Wells.
“But they didn’t know about the treadmill, yet.”  Ruby paused thinking, then added, “Do you think they planned to kill him?”
“Yes!” Wells answer was simple, cold and calm.
“How is he staying alive in there?  He has no food or water,” Pete said.
“He’s got to be in the computer,” Wells said. “He’s changing the program.  He’s added five trails since he’s been there.”
Wells rose.  He set his glass on the table, and said, “Thank you, I’m going to get to work on that computer.”
Ruby showed him to the door.
Pete joined her at the door.  “I think we ought to take our five-fifteen run and tell Al what we found.  Can I come back after we run?”
“I’ll fix dinner,” She replied.
1380

No comments:

Post a Comment